Minister Dermot Ahern promotes awareness of Code for Mixed Traders

(10 Mar 2010)
RRAI Launch3
Pictured above are Padraic White, Chairperson Responsible Retailers of Alcohol in Ireland (RRAI), Lynn Lambe, Lili Zheng, both Centra staff and Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, Mr Dermot Ahern TD at an event held in Centra urging members of the public to ensure that their local retailer is adhering to the Voluntary Code of Practice on the Sale and Display of Alcohol Products in Mixed Trade Premises The code and complaints procedure is displayed in all member stores and can be viewed by members of the public in-store and on www.rrai.ie.

The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D., today attended an awareness raising event on the Code of Practice on the Display and Sale of Alcohol in Mixed Trading Premises. This Code has been in operation since 2008 and has been found to improve display arrangements for the alcohol in supermarkets, convenience stores and garage forecourts.

Mr Padraic White, Chairperson of the Responsible Retailing of Alcohol in Ireland (RRAI), who oversees the implementation of the Code, organised today's awareness event to publicise the existence of the Code.

Speaking at the event, Minister Ahern said: "I welcome the decision to enlarge the display version of the Code as it should increase public awareness of its provisions. I would encourage all those with genuine complaints to engage with local management and if these efforts are not successful, to contact RRAI to have the complaint investigated and resolved.

I am encouraged that genuine efforts have been, and are being, made to improve the display arrangements for alcohol products. It is simply not acceptable that customers are confronted with large volumes of alcohol products on entering supermarkets, convenience stores and garage forecourts."

The Code now applies to 95% of mixed traders, including all the big supermarkets, the symbol groups and garage stores. Steps are underway to extend the Code to the remaining 5% small non-affiliated outlets and small traders.

Minister Ahern concluded: "It is my intention to make non-compliance with this Code a statutory ground on which an objection may be made to renewal of an outlet's licence to sell alcohol. I intend to ensure that the display and sale standards in the Code will become the norm in the mixed-trading sector".

The Minister called for retailers to trade responsibly in the lead up to St Patrick's Day.

RRAI Launch5 Pictured Minister Dermot Ahern T.D.

 


10 March 2010


Note to Editors:
Section 9 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 provides for the structural separation of alcohol from other products in mixed trading premises (supermarkets, convenience stores and garage forecourts). The Code reflects a voluntary commitment by retailers to these principles. It is subject to independent audit. The first independent audit by FMI Ltd found a compliance rate of over 90% among RRAI members.



Bookmark and Share


Latest News

RRAI launches consumer hotline for complaints on display and sale of alcohol

(15 Jun 2011)
RRAI launches consumer hotline for complaints on display and sale of alcohol

Minister Dermot Ahern promotes awareness of Code for Mixed Traders

(10 Mar 2010)
Press Release at public event to highlight awareness of the voluntary Code on the sale and display of alcohol in mixed trade premises. Event held at 12.30 on 10 March 2010 at 56 Dame Street Dublin 2.

© 2014 Responsible Retailing of Alcohol in Ireland

  • C/O 84-86 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin 2, Ireland 
  • Phone:
  • Fax:
  • Email: info@rrai.ie